Friday, June 12, 2009

BTUI (Buying Things Under the Influence)

I kind of decided to buy Boom Blox: Bash Party while tipsy the other night. It turned out to be a great decision as the game is spectacular, but it got me thinking about buying things while drunk or in other altered states.

I've often joked about my list of games that I'm just waiting for a drunk night to go and buy. Currently, this list is two games strong:


  • Cho Aniki (A homoerotic TG16 shooter on Virtual Console)

  • Pong Toss (that beer pong WiiWare game)



(Random Musing: the lead singer in Coheed and Cambria sounds like Geddy Lee. It's weird.)

Those two games have populated that list since last fall and I've still yet to buy them. It could be that the Wii's interface to buy games (especially with a credit card) requires too much effort for a drunk enough version of me to operate, but maybe I have some restraint. Obviously not enough restraint for a $40 retail game, though. I confuse myself.

I think I would've been more likely to buy things while drunk on Xbox 360 because it saves my credit card info. I probably have bought a few Rock Band songs that way, actually.

I have actually purchased a game on the Wii's Virtual Console while drunk, though. I bought Chew Man Fu while drunk, and that game fucking rocks. It's this weird ball-rolling puzzle game for TG16 that's on the Virtual Console.

I don't really have any more steam for this thought, though. I'm spent.

~~~~~~

Boom Blox: Bash Party is fucking fantastic, though. I really recommend it to anyone with a Wii because it's got got the best multiplayer this side of a Nintendo game. There's so much variety in the gameplay. I'm 20% into the game and already I've gone through five different gameplay mechanics. And there even seems to be advanced versions of each gameplay mechanic as you master the first batch.

The most interesting one thus far is definitely the underwater mechanic. They fuck with the physics and have underwater physics and they require you to throw gems up to the surface before they hit the ground. At first, they're all stationary and it is easy. Soon, there's all sorts of other blocks around and a fucking octopus swatting at your shit. It's fucking intense. There's a space level, too, but I haven't gotten there yet. I'm pumped for it.

~~~~~~

Tomorrow is my fiancee's hyphy party. Should be a good time. I imagine we might ghost ride a whip and listen to some E-40. Perhaps we'll drink hyphy juice. Idk. I just wanna keep it treal.

For now, it is time to debate whether or not to go to bed, or boot up the Wii and play some Boom Blox or try out the Munchables.

No comments: