Monday, February 4, 2008

Super Bowl Ruminations

Holy crap.
I'd say I'm shocked and amazed that the Giants beat the Running Pat Riots, but I'm not.
It's true. Not suprised at all. Shit, why do you think I was so worried when the Packers played the Giants?
Because that team had all the makings of the great underdogs. Also, New York-Boston karma dictated that if a New York team faced a Boston team in an important game, that New York would have to win.
The football went square through Tom Brady's legs last night in a manner similar to Bill Buckner.
The metaphorical Dave Roberts (David Tyree) stole a base while David Ortiz (Eli or Plaxico, but Plaxico's a dick, so let's make Eli be Big Papi in this metaphor) hit a home run.
Eli Manning might get a little more respect now that he won the big one (doubt it, he's still goofy as hell and he's on a New York team. If New York fans can hate A-Rod for having an MVP year, than Eli is fucking screwed) but, if I were him, I wouldn't care.
How many sportswriters won a Super Bowl and became an MVP? Well, noticing the turn over in players to sportswriters, probably a few.
I was surronded by people routing for the Giants, mainly because of the afforementioned New York-Boston rivalry, and they doubted. They were worried their team couldn't do it.
Seriously, if you saw that game, would you have thought that the Patriots would win that game? They played like ass. Brady got sacked like 6 times. Maroney had about 3 yards rushing. The once prolific Patriots offense looked like Donovan McNabb and the Eggles in the earlier game where the Giants sacked McNabb more times than he ever was sacked at Syracuse.
I don't know what in the hell happened to Tom Brady and Co., but they became the grand villain that they were facing when they played the Rams, and I don't think they recognized it. They were cocky, supposedly inviting Giants players to their own postgame parties (I would've gone afterwards regardless of the outcome if I were a Giants player) and they showed practically no emotion. Terrible stuff for a championship team.
The Giants, on the other hand, shut the Patriots O-Line down and Eli did the same crap he did against the Packers and the Cowboys. He efficiently moved the ball downfield when he needed to. And while he'll always be Napoleon Dynamite to me, I applaud him for doing so damn well in that game.
Congrats Eli, Congrats Giants and it must suck to be Tiki Barber.
~~
Here's my own scoresheet for the game:
Giants still have Plaxico Burress: Pats 0, Giants -1
Wes Welker is the shit: Pats 1, Giants -1
Strahan saying "resiliency" with a heavy lisp: Pats 1, Giants -2
Brady only had like to funny sketches the time he hosted SNL: Pats 0, Giants -2
Belicheck is wearing ugly red hoodie: Pats -1, Giants -2
Brady getting the shit sacked out of him: Pats -2, Giants -2
Like, fucking seriously, Wes Welker is the shit: Pats -1, Giants -2
Anything regarding Kevin Boss: Pats -1, Giants -1
Manning-Tyree pass: Giants 0, Pats -1
Manning-Plaxico TD: Giants -1, Pats -1
Welker didn't see the ball on the Pats' last drive (actually, only Brady saw the ball when he was sacked the fuck out): Giants -1, Pats -2
Final Score: Giants -1, Pats -2

Woo.
Yay New York!

I'm cheering now, but you bet your ass I'm gonna hate these fuckers if they play the Packers in the playoffs again.
I will always bleed Green and Gold, but I also have give credit where credit's due. Barvaro, Giants, Bravo.

No comments: