Friday, October 5, 2007

Contra is the definition of bad ass

So Contra IV for DS' release date and box art got announced. The box art is totally sweet and it comes out on November 13th, which makes November 13th the busiest fucking day in recent gaming history.
Before I get into why Contra IV is the game to buy on DS, let's look at some of the choice releases scheduled for November 13th.

Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
Assassin's Creed (360/PS3)
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles (Wii)
Soul Calibur Legends (Wii)
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 (Wii)
Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law (Wii, PS2)
Geometry Wars: Galaxies (Wii)
and now...Contra IV (DS)

Let's ignore the fact that this date is sandwiched between GHIII and Rock Band...or is a week away from Mass Effect.
I hate game companies, they should really have the brains that movie companies do and space film releases out.

Anyway, Contra IV is a must own DS game if you have ever found yourself humored by any Contra game. Shooting in such a rhythmically beautiful fashion is rarely topped.
Makes me regret not making the Iran-Contra Affair IR movie I planned on making.

In sorrowful DS news, it looks LoZ: Phantom Hourglass is not the gem I thought it would be. This news saddens me greatly. I was eagerly anticipating a wonderfully fine Zelda experience and now I hear about this game's shortcomings and I can't help but see the negatives inherent in this game.
It seems a lot like Red Steel. Not saying it sucks at life and should hop off cliffs, but that it presents a lot of good solid groundwork for someone to come by and be like, "Hey, if I touch this up and focus on the good and erase the bad, it'll be the shit."
Phantom Hourglass benefits from not being outplayed by a crazy Konami game about shooting little electric turd-nuggets with a big goofy gun.
I hear non-stop good things about half of PH, and non-stop bad things about the other half. The control scheme of all stylus reminds me a little of the "I wish it was so much better" nature of Contact's all stylus control scheme.
Also, whats with the hate on lefties? Apparently there is no way to switch control schemes from right handed to left handed. Eiji Aonuma, director of every main Zelda game since Majora's Mask, is slowly taking over Miyamoto's lovable lefty Link and turning him into an Agent of R.I.G.H.T.
Taking a quick glance at Wikipedia, Aonuma must be bitter at Miyamoto for talking him into returning to Zelda for Twilight Princess since the lefty hate began there.

All in all, Contra IV and Phoenix Wright appear to be the two must-buy DS games since Pokemon.

No comments: