Monday, January 21, 2008

Super Bowl Examination and a Post Mortem to the 2007-08 Green Bay Packers

As anyone who doesn't live under a rock knows, The Pat Riots are looking to close out their perfect season against the Jersey/A Giants in Super Bowl XLII.
I'm going to put my stance on this game as a big whatever. Part of me wants the Giants to win, since they're local and all. The other part wants the Yankees of Football to bitch slap the Giants so the seemingly 2004 Red Sox-inspired sudden resurgence in Giants fans can shut the fuck up.
If you've been a diligent Giants fan and stuck through them for the good and the bad, then this is not meant towards you. For your sake, I hope your team wins.
This following comment is to anyone who might decide to rub salt in my wounds in the coming days: Fuck off. I don't want to hear it. I would not piss on your team's grave if you lost in the championship game. Despite that obvious part, I'm dealing with the dilemma that every Dolphins fan went through when Marino was at the end of his rope and still threatening Super Bowl berths. Brett Favre, my favorite player that has been at the helm of the Packers for as long as football has been relevant to me is getting ever closer to retirement. The fact that he was so close to having the Elway-inspired storybook ending (that he actually helped make happen way back in SB XXXII) that he deserved is really sad for me. Like I said, this comment is not for everyone and I'd like to thank any person that doesn't need to hear this to not be a dick about things.

Anyway, as I've mentioned in previous posts. The Packers have exceeded all expectations and I am very happy that they had such a good season despite the fact that it ended poorly. Ryan Grant had a stellar year and hopefully he is a version of the real deal. Donald Driver is still, always will be, the hardest working wide receiver in the NFL. Greg Jennings has proven that he will be great in a Javon Walker-ish manner, except for, ya know, he's not a dick. Aaron Kampman is fucking awesome. Hawk, Popinga and Barnett have the makings of an elite line backer corps. Despite Al Harris fucking up while covering Plaxico tonight, he carried the developing secondary into becoming a great unit. Charles Woodson, Nick Collins and Atari Bigby all deserve a mention. Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila is fucking bad ass. The O-Line is superb and they protect the longest tenured quaterback in the NFL. Brett Favre, despite throwing a pissload of interceptions and sometimes taking too many risks, is still one of the most dynamic passers in the league with one of the strongest arms.
This was a great team. It's too bad one of their poorest played games was at their most important one.

Here's to next season and every other season after that because eternally, I will be a Packers fan and continue to root for them even when they suck.

No comments: